CATANIA & THE EAST COAST
CATANIA & THE EAST COAST
From Catania to Syracuse, a brief escape to discover the wonders of eastern Sicily with its stunning historical, cultural and natural centers.
Day 1: CATANIA – GIARDINI NAXOS
Arrival at Catania airport, welcome by our English speaking tour leader and coach transfer to the region of Taormina. Accommodation in a 4* hotel such as Hotel Sporting Baia in Giardini Naxos, or similar. Welcome drink. Dinner and overnight stay.
Day 2: ETNA - TAORMINA
After breakfast, departure by coach for a daily excursion with our tour leader. Depending on weather conditions and on the activity of the volcano, excursion to the Mount Etna, Europe's highest active volcano. Climb by coach up to 1,800 meters and visit of the extinct craters of the Monti Silvestri. Possibility of ascent by chairlift and then 4X4 up to 2,800 meters (supplement to be paid on the spot). Drive to Taormina and free time for lunch (not included). In the afternoon, walk through the beautiful historical centre of this internationally renowned tourist site overlooking the bay of Naxos, with external view of the Cathedral, in Gothic style, and the church of St. Pancras, patron saint of the town. Visit of the splendid Greco-Roman Theatre, built in the 3rd century B.C. and then enlarged to accommodate the performances of the Romans. Free time to stroll through the narrow streets and local craft shops. Back to the hotel, dinner and overnight stay.
Day 3: SYRACUSE - NOTO
After breakfast, departure by coach for a daily guided excursion with our tour leader. In the morning, guided tour of Syracuse: discovery of the archaeological area (Neapolis), ancient greek colony. This archaeological treasure keeps remarkable monuments such as the immense Greek Theater, the Roman Amphitheater, the Latomies (ancient stone quarries), and the famous Ear of Dionysius. Then visit of the island of Ortigia, with the ruins of the Temple of Apollo, the Cathedral Square, which forms a beautiful ensemble with its Baroque palaces, including the ancient Senate Palace and the Beneventano Palace of the Bosco, and finally the Cathedral itself, built on the ancient Doric temple dedicated to Athena, and redesigned with a beautiful Baroque facade (external views for all sites). Free time for lunch (not included). In the afternoon, visit of Noto, entirely rebuilt following the earthquake of 1693. Walk through the city with its suggestive and fascinating scenery, organized in an octagonal layout and around three scenic squares. In addition, the peculiarity and the colour of the local stone, a soft, golden tuff, gives an additional magnificence to the curves and volumes of the facades, such as that of the Church of San Domenico. At the end of the day, back to the hotel, dinner and overnight stay.
Day 4: DEPARTURE
Breakfast at the hotel and, according to the flight schedule, free time or possibility to arrange other visits (optional, not included). Coach transfer to Catania airport with our tour escort. Check-in assistance and end of our services.
The price includes:
• 3 nights accommodation on H/B basis in mentioned 4* hotel, in double room
• All dinners excluding beverages
• Welcome drink on the day of arrival
• 4 days service of a professional English-speaking tour leader from/to the airport and for the whole duration of the tour, accommodation and meal costs included
• 4 days transportation by air-conditioned G.T. bus according to the itinerary, including all city access fees as currently in force, and including meals and/or accommodation expenses necessary for the driver
• VAT as currently in force 10% for hotels, 5% for maritime transport, 22% other services
• Our constant phone support
The price doesn't include:
• Air transport
• Tourist tax
• Drinks at meals
• Entrance fees
• Headsets (not mandatory)
• Luggage transport service at the hotels
• All services not mentioned in our program and in "the price includes"
• The possible increase in VAT, access and parking costs for the bus, taxes in general
• Extras, optional visits, tips and personal expenses
If you need more information, please feel free to contact us anytime, we will be happy to help you!